Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Video Of Merlion Struck By Lightning

A strange incident; the Merlion was struck by lightning during a thunderstorm at about 4.30pm yesterday.

Here's my quick reconstruction of what you might have seen if you were there...



I doubt there is any actual video footage of the lightning strike from that sort of distance - for obvious reasons...

Source photo from Yoonie-at-home.


Would you like to know more?

Mainstream media reports:
-
Merlion statue at Singapore River struck by lightning; suffers slight damage (Channelnewsasia)
-
Merlion hit by lightning (The Straits Times)

Spectacular videos of lightning
-
Lightning But Very Slowly

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Err... it wasn't raining then??

The Key Question said...

Hard to find a photo of the Merlion in the pouring rain!