Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Waterspout!

We're back to photography for this week's Artisun!

I saw a nice funnel cloud emerging from under a thundercloud yesterday, and took this series of photos as the moving cloud carried it along...








A funnel cloud that touches down over water is called a waterspout, but this one didn't look like it managed to contact ground. Maybe the wind speed was too high.

Ever wondered what a waterspout looks like, up close and personal?

Here's a photo from a Malaysian website (taken from a location that looks suspiciously similar to East Coast Park):
















Spectacular.

Notice that it in no way resembles a giant penis poking out of the clouds.

0 Comments: