Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Anatomy Of A Myth

With Earth Hour fast approaching, I think it's a good idea to look beyond the symbolic gestures and review the core issues behind the topic of climate change.

Here's an excellent video that investigates some of the claims made by global warming denialists:



One major shortcoming of the mainstream media is that they generally do not reference original research articles, such that their readers can't easily check if the supposed quotations or conclusions were actually there. As a result, you have to get on the Interboobs to find out crucial details about any scientific or technological matter.

Whatever their reasons (political or otherwise) for not linking to primary references, this practice will slowly erode the credibility of the mainstream media and drive more and more discerning readers to the science'o sphere where they can discuss the issues at hand candidly and directly with the researchers involved in the field.


Would you like to know more?

About another misinterpretation of research data by the press:
-
Science journalists? Don't make me laugh (by Ben Goldacre)

About another global warming denialist:
-
An Anti-Scientific Mind

0 Comments: