Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Monday, March 23, 2009

Spont-Ant-eous Generation

This Monday I'm going to talk about a phenomenon that doesn't annoy me as much as it mystifies me.

You know sometimes you are walking around doing your own thing when suddenly you feel an ant crawling up your hand?

You'd brush it off or kill it or whatever, and then the realization strikes you.

The ant had to come from somewhere.

But you were walking around.

In shorts.

Somehow that ant must have crawled up your leg completely unnoticed, scampered up your clothes, made its way onto your arm and scurried along for several centimetres more before you felt it on the back of your hand.

How did the ant make it so far without being detected?

I mean, you'd know it immediately when an ant crawls up your leg, right?













Unless...

Unless the ant mysteriously materializes...

*neeeeuuummmm*

... on the back of your hand, inst-Ant-aneously by an Intellig-Ant Designer.

Oh noes! I'm becoming a cre-Ant-ionist!

4 Comments:

John Evo said...

Very funny!

Actually though, I usually think I probably put my HAND somewhere near ants and one got on me.

The Key Question said...

Boo hoo... you Dawkinists are always trying to deny the transcend-Ant-al!

John Evo said...

Oooh boy...

Are you trying to Ant-agonize me?

Anonymous said...

Great post, very funny! IT was extempor ANT eous !