Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

No Really, I CAN See Through You

Sometimes I wonder if deep sea fish aren't really Aliens from another planet...




Well, at least Macropinna microstoma doesn't have zombie eyes and Giger-esque teeth like the deep sea fish in my profile.

In fact it's rather cute, in a revulsive-ectoplasmic-anime-character-from-hell sorta way.


Would you like to know more?
-
Weird-eyed fish (Pharyngula)

7 Comments:

a said...

Man, way cool.

Anonymous said...

Such an interesting animal. Nature is amazing, pure and simple. There is so much more out there that we have no idea about. This creature should be the next feature on "Monsterquest."
Ryan

The Key Question said...

To A:

Word!

To Ryan:

They don't seem to have enough deep sea creatures on that show. You can never have enough deep sea creatures.

Anonymous said...

is kinda remarkable... something really interesting. I don't think my diving will go that deep to see this kind of fish. By the way, how small is the fish?

The Key Question said...

Hi Kennhyn, welcome to Fresh Brainz!

The fish shown in the video is about 11 cm long and discovered at the depth of 770 m. The researchers encountered five specimens ranging from 3.6 to 11.6 cm long.

For more information, you can access the full article here:

http://www.bioone.org/doi/full/10.1643/CG-07-082?cookieSet=1

Anonymous said...

Hello!!! www.freshbrainz.com is one of the most excellent informational websites of its kind. I enjoy reading it every day. Keep it that way.

Anonymous said...

The author of www.freshbrainz.com has written an excellent article. You have made your point and there is not much to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not argue with: If there really is a God who created the entire universe with all of its glories, and He decides to deliver a message to humanity, He will not use, as His messenger, a person on cable TV with a bad hairstyle. Thanks for the info.