Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Gxogle?

Early this morning, I was greeted by this strange Google holiday logo...








The first thing that popped into my mind was "Turner syndrome".

Then I remembered: "Hey, it's supposed to be Valentine's Day! Why is there a X-chromosome drawn using lipstick on Google's front page?!??"

Lipstick?

Could this be some insider joke about the "Leading Lipstick Indicator", since the sales of lipstick has gone up during this economic recession and could have spiked further due to Valentine's Day?

Netizens in China have seen the same logo and speculated that it could mean something like "hugs and kisses", refering to the "XOXO" often added at the end of letters, emails or SMSes.

The mysterious Gxogle logo appeared for only a short while and is now replaced by a more obvious representation of Valentine's Day...








No ambiguity there.


Would you like to know more?
-
More Google Holiday Logos
-
Previous Valentine's Day Logos (Chinese website)

10 Comments:

Unknown said...

I also saw this, although when i load the google page it is still the "Gxogle" , it hasnt changed.

The Key Question said...

Hi Shawn, welcome to Fresh Brainz! I think that the Google front page is updated by time zone, or by country. Check it out later to see if it has changed for your country.

Anonymous said...

It's still gxogle for me too, I'm central time, USA, 3AM Valentines Day.

Anonymous said...

wow i cant believe you couldnt figure it out. it's a gay logo but it's google we're talking about so what do you expect. wen you using x and o u gotta write xoxo nobody just writes xo. but google tried and thats wat counts just keep findin the pages i search for and we wont have a problem, google.

The Key Question said...

To Ray,

Maybe they kept the "Gxogle" front page for USA?

I've just checked that New Zealand, Japan, China, Singapore, Germany and United Kingdom all have the "lovebirds" version now.

To Anon 9:14,

Yup, "XO" by itself could totally mean something else, such as hard liquor, though that is rarely consumed on Valentine's Day. Your guess is as good as mine.

Jarka the Karka said...

Maybe it's a tribute to Darwinian Species-Conquest (a.k.a. cross-breeding)! More discussion at Xomba!

Anonymous said...

What the hell? XO means hugs and kisses you dorks.

Anonymous said...

I'm with the guy above me. XO obviously means hugs and kisses. They did only XO and not XOXO because gXOXOgle would make no sense, whereas gXOgle only changes one letter. I thought it was pretty clever by them; especially compared to that lame lovebirds logo. Sorry, no Google conspiracy here.

The Key Question said...

Seems like "hugs and kisses" is the best answer. Or is it "kisses and hugs"? :P

Anonymous said...

Isn't it X = hug and O = Kiss?