Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Sunday, December 30, 2007

Photo Gallery Six

It is with great pleasure that Fresh Brainz brings to you our 300th post - another milestone on the wonderful road to... erm... not quite sure where.

Nevertheless we are going to put up many pretty photos to celebrate this occasion.

Sometimes it is difficult to find an interesting subject for photography - you might need to search high and low for it.

The sky, on the other hand, is always there.

Big and obvious.

But you must wait for something dramatic to happen in the sky.

It can be a long, long wait... zzzzzz...

Luckily for you, all the "pre-waiting" has been done by us, so the photos are ready for your instant gratification!



















Close of the day
(2007) Fuji S6500fd














Layers of gold
(2007) Sony DSC-S600













Monstrosity
(2007) Sony DSC-S600











Morning blaze
(2003) Kodak CX4200













Painted sky
(2007) Sony DSC-S600













Rainbow
(2003) Kodak CX4200















Reds and Purples
(2003) Kodak CX4200









Rolling clouds
(2003) Kodak CX4200












Shadows in the sky
(2007) Sony DSC-S600



















Thunderclouds
(2003) Kodak CX4200

I should also mention that I recently bought a 2nd-hand camera to become my new(ish) workhorse camera, the Fuji S6500fd. I plan to take even more eye-catching photographs with it.

Would you like to know more?
- Photo Gallery Five

4 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice, are these "edited in photoshop" (I love how adobe tries to prevent the use of the term Photoshopped), or did you just raise saturation and contrast in camera? Or did you use some preset 'Landscape' mode?

Hows the face detection, do you find it useful, accurate? I wouldn't know, as I have always used an SLR/dSLR (thus have never owned a compact digital) but I know people in my family that would love an easy to use camera.

The Key Question said...

Hi Joey, welcome to Fresh Brainz!

Thanks for your compliment. I don't have Photoshop but I did post-process the photos using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. I just cropped them and adjusted the exposure.

Some photos look a little flat straight out of the camera. The easiest way to improve them is by lowering the brightness and midtone. I prefer not to adjust contrast directly because it can easily blow out the highlights.

Actually I haven't used the face detection feature at all. I don't think it's fast enough for practical purposes. I leave my S6500fd on aperture-priority most of the time.

Glendon Mellow said...

Gorgeous as usual Lim! Your photography in this set is rich and lush; the clouds and sky seem to be announcing themselves. It is not a passive sky!

I particularly like Layers of Gold and Reds and Purples. Only nature can get away with crashing red and purple together and have humans sigh with the beauty.

So now what am I supposed to do? You're on Gallery 6, and sometimes you post drawings...on my blogroll I have you under "Science and Rationality". Do I need to move you to "Artistic Genius" to get you to behave?

(The world must fit in my little pinheaded categories!!!)

The Key Question said...

Hi Glendon,

Thanks for the compliments! The sky did most of the work really.

And Fresh Brainz is pretty comfy in "Science and Rationality", though you can categorize it anywhere you prefer.

Personally I would reserve "Artistic Genius" for guys like Olduvai George.