Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sexy Scientists

You know, I don't actually watch much TV drama. I especially dislike "science" shows like CSI. Everything is over-dramatized and hyped up.

I mean - coloured eppendorf tubes? Why? Why?

And it's not just the stuff they use, neither.












Look at all these "scientists". How many scientists you know look so damned good?

Just look at my ho-hum face on the right sidebar, and you instantly realize that science folks normally look, well, normal.

Or so I thought.

Until I stumbled upon this gem of a blog called Sexy Science Version 1.0.

The resident blogger there keeps track of the hottest guy scientists she knows.

Like this one.











Stand aside, Gary Sinise. Dr. Stephen O'Brien is a real scientist - a solid-state chemist, in fact.

And more importantly, he is so aw... aw... CUTE!!!

Wait a sec dudes. I'm a dude.

So I am delighted to bring to you the Fresh Brainz - Three Hottest Women Of Science!

*drum roll*

Here they are (in no particular order) :










Tara C. Smith : Assistant Professor, Epidemiology, University of Iowa.

Dr. Smith studies microbial pathogens. She is also a prolific science blogger, writing her own blog called Aetiology at Seed scienceblogs, and contributing articles to the Panda's Thumb.








Titia de Lange : Professor, Cancer Biology, Rockefeller University.

Prof. de Lange works on the structure and function of telomeres. She is an elected member of the Dutch Royal Academy of Sciences and has won many awards (such as the Paul Marks Prize for Cancer Research) in her illustrious career.










Magdalena Zernicka-Goetz : Professor, Developmental Biology, Gurdon Institute (Cambridge).

Prof. Zernicka-Goetz studies polarity and patterning in early mouse embryo development. She has numerous superb publications and is an editorial board member of the journal "Cell Fate & Determination".

That is my list.

Don't agree?

Then send me a photo link of your favorite hot scientist or engineer!

Can be a hunk or a babe. Please give me a short description of his or her research field.

Just put the link in the comments or send it to me by email.

I'll collect them so that we can all vote on them later!

Superb.

12 Comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm i can think of more than one scientist in my institute who's more good looking than that Dr o'brien .... and would you agree that there are cuter gals in my institute than your featured females? Just look at my floor.... oh wait.... you've already been looking haven't you??? hahhaha ;D

The Key Question said...

Come on, Denise Keller is not a real scientist, she's an MTV VJ!

*wink*

Anonymous said...

Oh, Check out Christina Smolke from Caltech. She's cute I think.

http://www.che.caltech.edu/faculty/smolke_c/index.html

The Key Question said...

To Anon 11:20,

You're right! Thanks for the link.

feng said...

My lab uses coloured eppendorf tubes. No idea why, but they are pretty =)

The Key Question said...

To fengzi,

Everything is more colourful in Southern California ;)

Anonymous said...

also check out Kirsten Sanford from the "This Week in Science" podcast. She's got a PhD in neuroscience and is quite the sexy scientist to boot:

http://www.twis.org/kirsten.html

The Key Question said...

Hi Mark,

I've updated the readers' choice post.

Thanks for the link!

rasmussenanders said...

Ratemyprofessor.com has hotness ratings of most professors in the US. If one wants to find good looking professors that would be a good place to look.

The Key Question said...

Hi Anders,

Thanks for the link!

Unknown said...

http://www.uvsc.edu/profpages/pics/10004067.jpg This is Emily Bartlett. She is currently an Earth Science teacher at UVSC. She used to be a Chemistry Lab Technician for the Western Electrochemical Company. The picture is small but she is really very cute with a personality to match.

The Key Question said...

Hi Suzystone, welcome to Fresh Brainz. Thanks for the link!