Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Library Book Sale + Super Hot Babe.

Yesterday I read in the papers that the National Library Board is having a book sale today and tomorrow. Every year the National library clears out tonnes of old books to make way for new ones. These old books are sold to the public for a nominal $2 per book.

This could be quite a bargain. So I woke up early this morning and spent one whole hour on the subway (MRT) just to get to the exhibition hall where the book sale is.

When I finally got there, this is what greeted me.








A massive line-up has already formed outside the exhibition hall. The entrance is on the left of the photo. The line actually continued for some 30-40 metres to the right of this photo.

I think this photo shows two things.

One - Singaporeans love books. Just look at the number of people who like reading! Of course reading lots of books doesn't necessarily make you wiser. Just like eating lots of stuff doesn't necessarily make you healthier. But to be smart, the bottomline is that you must read something.

I doubt if Americans are that enthusiastic about book sales. Hah!

Two - they like queuing up. In fact, if the line is really long then people assume that the stuff must be worth queuing for. Something circular about this reasoning.

Doesn't work for me though. I hate lines.

















It appears that the exhibition hall must be fully packed. When I saw this sign I realized that I would be at least one hour away from entering the hall, but that's not the only waiting time. What about the crowd inside? Or the line-up for the cashiers? Madness!

I decided to give this a miss.

Instead I will go to the Central Library and borrow some books. That'll work.

So I went back into MRT station and suddenly...

SUPER HOT BABE alert!






















Here's my sketch of her. She was leaning back against the granite seat, looking rather bored. She has short hair and was wearing a white top. Now I have seen many hot babes in my life before, but she is the hottest babe I've ever seen. I didn't take any photos because, why, that just wouldn't be polite. My drawing isn't that great I know, but trust me - she is the Queen of Hotness.

I gave her my blog URL, so I am hoping that she will read this blog. Keep your eyes on the comments line - she might just turn up someday. Woo hoo!






















So then I took the train to the Central Library to check out some books. The National Library Building was opened in July last year. I think it is a well-designed building, with emphasis on vertical expanse. It also has fast glass elevators which I often use as a free thrill ride.

"Storey 16. Going down."

Woosh! Watch me turn green!

Eventually I picked up two books, on mountain climbing and on science fiction. I need to read more so that I can write more interesting stuff for you, my friends.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

that's scary.. about the low literacy rates i mean... SO many people can't read and understand stuff??
- Hannah

The Key Question said...

What is even more interesting to me is that the USA continues to be the world leader in so many fields (especially science, tech and econs) despite their problematic education and healthcare system.

Some cynics say that the only reason America stays afloat is due to the immigration of foreign talents. I feel that another possibility is that the US economy has so much momentum that poor policy decisions tend to take a long time before negative effects can be seen.