Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Saturday, August 05, 2006

Back to the 80's!

An update to the topic of college dropouts. Guess who else is a Stanford dropout who made it big?






















This guy.

What do you mean you don't know who he is?

He is Fei Xiang (费翔) Taiwanese-American Heart-throb Extraordinaire! The "Takeshi Kaneshiro" of the early 1980's. Girls would so die just to have a chance to fuck him.

Of course things have changed quite a bit in 20 years.

















Now he looks like this. Not exactly a rich, frumpy old man yet.

But soon.

When you read my blog, you may think that I grew up listening to Michael Jackson and Madonna. The truth is that I spent my pre-teen years listening only to popular Mandarin hits from 费翔, 刘文正 and 凤飞飞. I was exposed to American pop culture many years later.

Here are three of my favorite 费翔 songs from that time.

读你 (Reading You)

午夜星河 (Midnight Galaxy)*

吻别 (Kiss Me Goodbye)

Ah, hearing these "classic" songs again brings me back to the good ol' eighties when everyone was pure and honest, life was simpler, and I was repeatedly beaten with a thick wooden ruler by my teachers for talking in class.

Wait a sec, something is not right with this picture.

*Insider joke for A.H. - Did you notice that one part of this song sounds like the theme from Red Dwarf? "Fun fun fun in the sun sun sun..." Ha ha ha!

0 Comments: