Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Fresh Science 27 November 2007

The juiciest posts from the science 'o sphere!

Chang'e 1 shoots the Moon / Izod clouds (Bad Astronomy - USA)
Really cool pictures there...

Inevitable and orderly? Hardly! (Laelaps - USA)
A good critique of Paul Davies' "Taking Science on Faith".

Wired's 10 great snake-oil gadgets (Moonflake - South Africa)
They only work when nobody's looking...

Mutation fired outbreak of deadly tropical virus (Ontogeny - USA)
One amino acid change turns a virus into a killer...

Having a science education doesn't make you a scientist (Pro-science - Denmark)
Just like having a scholarship doesn't make you a scholar...

Jane Austen action figure (Sour Grapes - USA)
???

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Leng Hiong,

This is slightly off-topic from your current blog-post, but I was wondering if you could forward this on to that law student that frequents your blog and happens to be a firm believer in ID? This paper just came out in Nature Reviews Neuroscience, which I hope it can address his questions on the evolution of the eye. Thanks!

URL: http://www.nature.com/nrn/journal/v8/n12/full/nrn2283.html



-- Alvin

The Key Question said...

Hi Alvin:

Welcome to Fresh Brainz! Thanks for the heads up to the excellent review paper.

It's quite a long and technical review; instead of just forwarding it wholesale to him, I think it's better if I convert it into "blog-style" plain English, so that everyone can understand what it means.

I'll try find time in the weekend to do this. You can join in the discussion too if you like.

Cheers!