Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Tree Of Life Art

In October last year there was a competition for a creative project that combined Art and Science in Singapore. I submitted a proposal for a light sculpture called the Tree of Life, which would display phylogenetic data in a physical form that is accessible to the public and fun to play with.












The Tree of Life would have fibre optic "leaves" that can change colour to trace evolutionary relationships between well-known organisms. It would also include a display screen to allow database searches and display interesting facts and videos about highlighted organisms.

The proposal was rejected in the second round of selection, but I still think it's a pretty tree. Click on the above picture for the full-size artwork.

It should have a place right here on Fresh Brainz together with my random art and obscure cartoons!











I went through a number of designs to find the most attractive one. Here's a pen sketch of the finalized form of the tree.









The inspiration for the physical Tree of Life came from the Tree of Life Web Project, which is an excellent resource for phylogenetic information and photos of many living organisms.

Do check it out!


Would you like to know more?

-
Tree of Life Web Project

5 Comments:

Anonymous Coward said...

We put up a link...

The Key Question said...

Hi AC,

Welcome to Fresh Brainz and thanks for the link!

I've favourited your team blog on Technorati.

Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Very cool post, thanks!!

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and I've enjoyed poking around your blog.

I love to see neuroscience info going mainstream.

The Key Question said...

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for visiting Fresh Brainz! I'm glad you enjoyed my blog.

The next few posts will be focused on evolution, but I'll put up more neuroscience posts soon.

Best!