Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

March Of The Giant Penguins!

Palaeontologists from the North Carolina State University have discovered fossils of giant penguins, not in the icy plains of Antarctica, but in the deserts of Peru.

One newly discovered species is Icadyptes salasi, which stood 1.5 metres tall and lived over 35 million years ago.









Here is a picture of its skull compared to a modern Peruvian penguin. The I. salasi had a beak that is so long (30 cm) that experts believed that it might have been used for spear fishing.

With this discovery, Fresh Brainz is proud to bring you the latest update to penguin evolutionary history.

Revealing astounding new relationships never before imagined!

















Somehow, you always knew.

Heh.


Would you like to know more:

-
News release about this discovery by Dr. Julia Clarke's group

0 Comments: