Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Knockout Wins!

The Nobel Committee has just announced that the 2007 Prize for Physiology or Medicine will go to three scientists who pioneered gene targeting, also known as gene "knockout" technology.












Mario Capecchi, Martin Evans and Oliver Smithies share the Nobel Prize:

for their discoveries of principles for introducing specific gene modifications in mice by the use of embryonic stem cells.

Ah, embryonic stem cells are right up my alley, so as part of the pre-ceremony festivities, Fresh Brainz is delighted to bring you a series of articles spotlighting the discovery that these Nobel uncles have made, and the latest research updates in this field.

Stay tuned for the first article - a lecture about embryonic stem cells by Prof. Martin Evans in Singapore back in 2004!

0 Comments: