Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Rise Of The Silver Squiggle*

Some of you may have noticed something new in the header picture - what's up with that squiggly thing that looks like a mirror image of a question mark?

A good question!

That, my friends, is the shiny new logo for Fresh Brainz.

And there is an actual legend behind its birth.

Make that two legends.

















Fig 1. GFP-expressing D40X cells (100X magnification)

Apocryphal: I was attempting a transient transfection of the D40X cell line using an overexpression vector that I made. It is a Cyan-C / Ju-C fusion protein coupled to an IRES driving EGFP expression as the readout. When I lipofected the plasmid into a 10-cm tissue culture dish of D40X cells, the GFP expression pattern (see Fig 1) was so distinctive that I decided to use it as my blog logo.

Actual: I spent almost a year tinkering with a logo design that either looks like the letter "F", resembles a question mark or outlines the silhouette of a human brain. This silver squiggle just barely manages to do all three.

Yes, the truth is not as spectacular, I know.

*sigh*

Oh before I forget - Fresh Brainz is happy to introduce yet another perky mascot for a new category of posts!
















Paris the Hot Button will be the avatar for future articles about fast-breaking news, socio-political controversies and other current affairs.

And yes, Paris is really named after this weepy young devotchka who is currently doing the old in-out-in.

Jail, that is.


Would you like to know more?

About other Fresh Brainz mascots:
- Fran the Strawberry
- Sally the T.Rex
- Brad the Brain-skull
- Mike the Microphone
- Nick the Camera-robot
- Svetlana the Spacewalker
- Nameless the Blue Question Mark

About Rise of The Silver Surfer:
- Official Website

* Sorry about the pun.

0 Comments: