Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Monday, May 18, 2009

Censoring Myself Into Silence

This is it folks, I've totally run out of steam. Essentially, I've politically-corrected myself into silence. Fresh Brainz was supposed to be about science, which is a reliable method for discovering the truth. Unfortunately, the truth can be very offensive to many people in this world. They would cling on to their beliefs even when strong evidence indicates the contrary.

For too long I have been tasked to do impossible things. I don't considering focusing all your energy into doing impossible things as some admirable sign of tenacity or resilience. Especially when the evidence is clearly there.

I think that ordering other people to do impossible things and forcing them to believe in impossible things is a sign of megalomania, maybe sadism or even madness.

There is only so much one can do to hint or use subtle words to somewhat nudge you to plausibly tangentially consider some sort of issue. It is very tiring to bend over backwards to respect the feelings of everyone all the time.

That is not my style.

And so I have nothing left to say.

7 Comments:

Glendon Mellow said...

Whoa man! What's going on? Your blog is one of the best science-progressive voices out there.

Don't be silent, make waves!

The Key Question said...

Hi Glendon, thanks for your support!

It's bad enough that I had to get "official permission" to write anything in my personal capacity.

Now I need "official permission" to think anything in my personal capacity. Orwell would be proud.

Glendon Mellow said...

Okay, just come over to my blog with a pseudonym and make non-silent statements in the comments. Free reign, man.

Wishing you the best,

Glendon

The Key Question said...

Thanks Glendon, but I'll still post comments in your blog using my own account.

angry doc said...

Hmm...

a said...

Sad, sad. Would it help if I told you I often feel the same way, even though I'm not being actively censored? Probably not.

Anonymous said...

:(
I have similar problems, but not to the extent you describe.

bummer!