Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

La Specola: Wax Museum Of Horror

When you visit a wax museum, have you ever wondered what a wax figure looks like - on the inside?

Oooh... scary stuff!

La Specola in Florence, Italy, is one of the oldest science museums in the world. This museum is famed for its collection of extremely detailed anatomical wax models made during the late 1700s.

The models were handcrafted by master artists such as Clemente Susini - using metal, coloured wax and silk threads.

Since they were based on actual human specimens, the sculptor had to work quickly... because refrigeration had not been invented yet!

It's difficult to imagine how they managed to produce such intricate work without the help of computers or cameras.

Yet these wax models are so realistic that apparently people still faint while viewing them today!

Check out this quick review of the museum. (Warning: Not for the easily shocked)



If I ever go to Italy one day, I will definitely visit La Specola.

But not at night.

(Pipette tip to Morbid Anatomy.)


Would you like to know more?

About La Specola
-
The Specola Museum (YouTube video)

About other anatomy museums in the world
- Anatomical Theatre

0 Comments: