Subscribe to Feed            Add to your Favourites

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn't feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.” – Neil Armstrong (1930-2012)

Fresh Reads from the Science 'o sphere!

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Tiny Green Insect

While cleaning my table today, I spotted a fleck of coloured dust. I was just about to flick it away when I noticed that the "dust" seems to have eyes!

It is a tiny green insect.

Which is dead.

So I put it on a piece of memo paper and took some photos of it:



There it is.

Neon-green body with irridescent orangey-pink wings... and very obvious BLACK eyes.

Isn't it cute?



I placed a regular 10 cent coin beside it.

Next to the insect, the coin looks like a gigantic, hefty hunk of pig iron.



Here is a crop of the previous photo at 100% full resolution.

As you can see, the insect is about as long as the thickness of the coin.

Which means it is about 1 mm long, with wings that are less than 2 mm long. I count three obviously visible wings; one might have broken off. So it used to have four wings and not two wings like a housefly.

You can also see that it is at the limit of my camera's resolving power. I can't get much more detail than that.



So I tried to take photos of it through my trusty 6X loupe - like a makeshift macro lens.

It's not very good but some additional details become visible.



At 100% resolution you can now see some veiny details on the wings, the blue-green thread-like legs, and what looks like two mouth parts below its face.



From the front, the face of the insect resembles a mantis, but it's hard to tell if the elongation below the eyes is mainly part of the mouth or the neck.

You can also see some serrations on its legs. I estimate the length of each spike to be less than 0.05 mm - well below the resolving power of the naked eye.



From the side, it doesn't look like an insect at all. It looks more like a frog with wings... on snow skis!



From the back, its three wings can be clearly seen.

I haven't been able to identify this insect yet. It's not a lacewing fly and it doesn't look like a parasitic wasp.

Whatever it is, it is the smallest flying previously flying insect I have ever examined.


Would you like to know more?

Other denizens of my neighbourhood:
- A grey lizard that isn't really grey
- Bugs in the city

9 Comments:

Tim said...

I found the same insect today on my bedside table. Did you ever identify it?

Anonymous said...

Have you had any luck identifying this insect?? They are literally attacking my monitor as I'm typing this. Any info would be much appreciated.

RyanT29 said...

Have you had any luck identifying this insect?? They are literally attacking my monitor as I'm typing this. Any info would be much appreciated.

Unknown said...

Did you find out what kind of bug this is? I found like 6 of them on my bed last night and can't find any info on them.

Unknown said...

Did you find out what kind of bug this is? I found 6 of them on my bed last night and can't find any info on them.

Unknown said...

Did you find out what kind of bug this is? I found like 6 of them on my bed last night and can't find any info on them.

MaryamH said...

hello,
i came across your blog while googling about this insect and surprised to find a singapore link.

anyways, this green super small inscet has always land on my study table since years ago. based on my observation:
- thr is only one green inscet per night
- they only come at night
- i hv been visited by a slight brown colour of the same species

i lived on the 25th flr of a typical hdb flat. i dont have any plants around. whr do these insect come from?

me said...

Anybody knows what this insect is?

EVERY night, there would be one flying around my room and just my room alone.

After I've killed one, another one comes the next night. (I know it's definitely not the dead one from the previous night because i've flushed the dead one down the toilet and the new one is always a different size from the previous one)

The cycle keeps continuing EVERY night. It has been happening for the past few weeks.

Can someone give me an answer via tumblr? Message me.

playinginthepouringrain.tumblr.com

Anonymous said...

My Dad has the same bugs, looks like or eerily similar to the Ceratopogonidae? - Stilobezzia viridis and yes it is female. http://bugguide.net/node/view/387821/bgimage